It’s winter, it’s cold and nothing warms up your bones like a hearty bowl of soup! Beef Barley Soup is the PERFECT way to do just that. This recipe is not quick but it is DELICIOUS!
This is a lovely and rich recipe that will please the whole family. Let’s break it down (see full recipe at the bottom).
I used an inside round steak and cut it into large chunks. You could definitely swap out the steak for a stewing beef. I seasoned it with a bit of salt and pepper to taste. I then sprinkled it with some flour to help in the thickening of the broth.
In a large pot, brown the beef with some olive oil and bay leaves, for about 5 minutes.
Chop up the onion, carrots and celery into small or large pieces as per your preference. I chopped mine pretty chunky this time.
Add the vegetables, broth, water and all the seasonings.
Bring to a boil, then cover to let it simmer on low for about 1 hour. Don’t forget to stir it occasionally. After it has simmered and now looks scrumptious, it’s time to add the barley. I LOVE BARLEY! It does, however, take some time to cook through, so once you add the barley, simmer on LOW for an additional 45 mins to 1 hour. It is important to check in on the delicious concoction during this process to ensure that the barley is not absorbing all the broth too quickly. You can always add more water or beef broth, if needed.
Look at that delectable dish! Hearty and filling. It’s a complete meal in a bowl!!! SO TASTY!!!
Feel free to make modifications to this recipe based on your own preferences and TELL YOUR FRIENDS!
- 1 Inside round beef steak (or stewing beef)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 carrots
- 3 celery stocks
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp Goya Adobo seasoning
- 1½ tap salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp Mrs. Dash All Purpose seasoning
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- ⅔ cup barley
- 1 tsp butter
- Coat the beef with flour, a dash of salt and pepper.
- Cut the beef into bite size pieces.
- Add olive oil, bay leaf and beef to a large pot and simmer for five minutes to begin browning.
- Chop up carrots, onion and celery into small pieces and add it to the beef along with the beef broth, water and butter.
- Add Goya, salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash and celery seed and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for 1 hour, stirring occassionally.
- Add barley and simmer for another 45 mins to 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy.
Bon appétit mes amies!